A DAY IN THE LIFE...

Sustian me according to Your word that I may live...Psalm 119:116

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hang on to the Hem - Mark 5:25 / Luke 8:40

I am back at Mark 5:25 again... the woman who had the 'issue of blood'. It seems that every time I read this, I get something new from it.

Today, verse 27, 28 jump out at me - This woman who had suffered for years and years, with this 'issue of blood' - I imagine this is a proper way of saying that she was having bleeding like a menstrual period so very much and so frequently, it had brought her to a point of desperation.

This little gal thought in the midst of the huge crowd that was pressing in on Jesus, she might have a chance. She just might be able to take the risk of just reaching out, perhaps just one touch of his cloak.... just one little brush up against this prophet, this man whom she had heard so much about...

After all, He would never know! They were in the middle of a giant crowd of people, a throng that was pressing in on every side - I can just see the crowds trying to shove their way in, just to get a glimpse, perhaps just to touch the One they had heard so much about!

So our precious lady thought this may be her chance, maybe even her lst chance. Jesus would never know, it wouldn't be humiliating or embarrassing, or anything. Not like with so many of the others she had gone to for help. She could just kind of sneak in there, just one little touch...and maybe she would get well. No confrontation, no fear of what the crowd would think - after all she was labeled unclean! Rejected! Outcast! But just a small, slight touch - no one would ever know - but if she could just get close enough, she knew she would get well, she just KNEW!

You can sense her faith and fear rising up in her at the same time - oh she desperately wanted to be healed, and she had heard so much about the Great Teacher, and the miracles that He had done! But her fear - oh her fear!!! Would it win over? All the what-ifs she had ever thought rattling themselves off in her mind...

Verse 29 - she knew she was healed!
Verse 30 - Jesus knew power had gone forth from Himself... and then He says... "Who touched me?"

WHY did He ask that? Why?
It appears to be such a ridiculous question, absurd to the disciples, to anyone watching, anyone near by...But really, Why did He ask?

His purpose was NEVER to humiliate or embarrass her, not to 'call her out' or make her look foolish...

V32 - He turns around and sees the woman - their eyes meet.
V33 - "fearing and trembling and aware"

I believe that when their eyes met, what she saw in Jesus' eyes was compassion, love, a longing to heal her fully, to have her know His Grace and Love.

She, being terrified, and knowing that something really big had happened in her body, may have been thinking "Oh, what have I done?! This is truly Messiah I have touched, and His power healed me - but what have I DONE?! Who am I (unclean, afflicted, a woman) to touch HIM?"

Crumpling to the ground, in the midst of her great fear, she told Him "the whole truth".

"The Whole Truth" - what was it?

"I'm desperate! I've tried everything! I am an outcast! It has been this way for 12 years! I don't know what else to do! I've gone to doctors, it has been horrible, they can't help me, they have mistreated me, they cannot help me, and I don't know where else to go!! When I heard about you, I thought maybe just maybe, if I could just get close enough to touch your coat, just the edge of your coat..."

She had positioned herself at his feet, a place of humility and poured her heart out to Him...

The reason Jesus had asked "Who touched me?" was for HER. For HER to understand the love and grace and mercy and the tender heart of God.

Look at what Jesus spoke to her -
"Daughter"
"Daughter"
.... affection, love acceptance, heritage, authority
"Daughter"
....MY daughter.Clean.Whole. Healed.
"Daughter"
.... Affirmation.

"Your faith has made you well."
Its not your imagination - this really happened, and your affliction has ended! What you thought happened, did happen! I affirm it, your Messiah has healed you!

Daughter....
Rest in the Fathers love.
Go in peace.
Don't be afraid. No more fear, you are loved, accepted, clean, blessed and touched by your Fathers great love for you...rest for your soul, peace in your heart, it is finished - you are Mine.

1 comment: